RE: Postconditions with no XML elements defined?

Those postconditions should each have a token defined for them.
I'll give them each one.  Thanks for noticing that!

From: Peter Raymond [mailto:Peter.Raymond@merant.com]
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2001 11:39 AM
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
Subject: Postconditions with no XML elements defined?

Hi,
In section 1.6 of the specification it states:
In order to allow better client handling of 403 and 409 responses, a
distinct XML element
type is associated with each method precondition and postcondition of a
request.
But several Postconditions in the specification do not have any XML elements
defined.
Section 8.5, 8.6, 8.7, 8.8, and 9.6 for example.  Do we need to change 1.6
to say that some
preconditions and postconditions have distinct XML elements?
Also regarding the 403/409 responses it was not clear from the spec when to
send 403
and when to send 409.  The text in section 1.6 reads:
If a method precondition for a request is not satisfied, or if a method
postcondition for a
request cannot be achieved, the response status of the request MUST be 403
(Forbidden)
or 409 (Conflict).
Does this mean a 403 should be sent for a failed precondition and a 409
should be sent
for a postcondition failure.  Or does it mean the server implementer can
return either code
in either situation.  This is not clear from reading the spec.
Regards,
--
Peter Raymond - MERANT
Technical Architect (ADM)