Eliminating the Label header

From: Vasta, John <jvasta@rational.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 10:53:40 -0500
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
> Since the Label header is an optimization (i.e. you can use
> PROPFIND to determine the information), this was considered the
> appropriate response to the area directors concern.

It seems like a pretty significant optimization. Is there any other way for
a client to implement the "find labeled version" function other than getting
the label-name-set property on every single version in a history? Yes, this
can be done with a single request, using the version-tree report, but
computing the response can be very expensive for a server (having thousands
of versions in a history will not be unusual, at least in our installed
base).

A server may have a much more efficient way to find a version with a label.
If the find-labeled-version function seems useful, how about adding a report
for it? (The function seems useful to me; I'm thinking of the number of
times I want to compare two versions of something, where at least one of
them is denoted by a label.)

John