DAV:version-controlled-configuration

From: Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:58:52 -0800
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
A while back, Tim and I were discussing where DAV:vcc property appears
within "normal" collections. Tim said "only on the root" and I said "on all
collections under the root". I believe we need to figure out the right
answer here.

Tim says it appears only on the resource that BASELINE-CONTROL was applied
to (or implicitly applied by the server). I'm not sure of the basis or
explanation for this since I don't agree :-) ... Tim will speak up.

I believe it should be on the root and everything below it. All of those
collections *are* under baseline control. If the baseline changes, they will
also change. A change in the baseline ripples down through the entire URL
namespace, so those collection truly are controlled by the baseline (well,
the version-controlled configuration).

In Tim's scheme, to determine whether something is controlled, you must
issue a bunch of PROPFINDs, walking up the hierarchy, to determine whether
something is controlled. In mine, a single PROPFIND will do it.

Originally, I had a problem with determine where the VCR appeared within a
baseline-collection (BC) (i.e. a VCR's relative path from the root of the
baseline). Tim's scheme can determine this by how far up you walk, and
applying that relative path against the BC. I resolved mine as a
DAV:locate-history report on the BC.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
-g