RE: OPTIONS

[freed from spam trap -rrs]

 Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 13:53:55 -0500 (EST)
 From: "Kevin Wiggen" <wiggs@wiggenout.com>
 To: "Jason Crawford" <ccjason@us.ibm.com>, <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>,
         <ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org>
 Subject: RE: OPTIONS

I do not think the HTTP spec says enough, and for OPTIONS to be useful to
clients, I think we need to specify what the behavior is.

It's useful to look at a few use cases and discuss what the server should
respond.

Take for instance:

/foo is an empty directory

OPTIONS /foo
Allow: GET, HEAD, POST, OPTIONS, TRACE, PROPFIND, COPY, SEARCH
If the /foo is writeable add PROPPATCH, LOCK, UNLOCK

OPTIONS /foo/bar
Allow: OPTIONS
If /foo is writeable add MKCOL, PUT, LOCK

OPTIONS /foo/bar/fee
Allow: OPTIONS

This is one way of handling the OPTIONS, I can think of other permutations
that might make sense.  Again for this to be truly useful information to a
client, I believe we need to state what a server should respond with to a
client in each case.

Kevin