RE: REPORT not in CORE

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@cse.ucsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 10:16:53 -0800
To: <ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org>

> In reading the latest draft, I have to admit that I find it very
> weird that
> the REPORT method is introduced before the CORE section of the draft.  Why
> not make this part of CORE?  I think it would read a lot better and
> structurally make more sense.
>
> Comments?

This makes sense to me as well.  If other protocols wish to use the REPORT
method, it would be possible for a server to implement REPORT, and not the
rest of core.  Such a server would advertise the existence of REPORT in the
Allow header returned from an OPTIONS method invocation, or via whatever
additional discovery mechanism the protocol supports. Since REPORT is
definitely required as part of core, it should be in the core section.

- Jim