RE: DeltaV Lack of global properties

From: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@xythos.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 18:05:57 -0800
To: "Geoffrey M. Clemm" <geoffrey.clemm@rational.com>, <ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org>
> Just for interests sake, what would be the locking behavior of these
> "shared" (a term I'd slightly prefer over "global" or "mutable")
> properties?  If you lock a version, does that prevent change to that
> property on all versions?  Are shared properties unaffected by write
> locks?

It depends how it's defined.  I'd prefer for a "shared"/"global"
property to exist on the VCR only, not on any of the versions.  That's
the easiest way for it to stay in synch across all versions.  Then,
clearly, a LOCK on the VCR would affect the property as well.  A LOCK on
a version would not.

(What is the meaning of a LOCK on a version, anyway?  If versions aren't
mutable???)

Important note:  a "global" property is NOT the same as a "mutable"
property.  A mutable property may exist on versions, may have different
values on different versions, and most importantly, may be changed on a
version without causing a new version to be created.

> Note that although I'm always interested in exploring worthwhile
> extensions to the WebDAV protocol, I'll point out that the versioning
> protocol has received some criticism for being too complex because of
> too many options, so I'm very reluctant to add even more options
> before the IESG has a chance to review the ones that have already been
> designed and reviewed.

I strongly feel that BOTH mutable and global properties are required
functionality for many source code and document versioning scenarios.

Lisa