RE: Autoversion confusion

From: <Tim_Ellison@uk.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 09:58:29 +0000
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org

John wrote:
> This shouldn't be necessary, since the HTTP spec
> defines the behavior of GET and PUT. Specifically,
> it says that PUT to a particular resource defines
> the response for any following GET on that same
> resource (I'm paraphrasing from memory). There
> can't be any other possible interpretation (that
> doesn't break HTTP semantics).

I agree with John.

At the risk of nagging<g>, a version-controlled resource is an honest to
goodness WebDAV resource, with content and properties (version-controlled
collections have members and properties).  Intuatively, if a PUT to the
resource succeeds (200 OK) then a client is entitled to believe they will
GET the same entity back.

p.s.
I had a quick look through the HTTP/1.1 spec, and didn't see anything that
states this categorically.  In fact, Section 9.6 (PUT) states:
 "HTTP/1.1 does not define how a PUT method affects the state of an origin
server."
Now, how many clients do a GET just to check what they actually will
retrieve after a successful PUT!