RE: Splitting off core: where we stand

Lisa,

  I don't know what makes you think we're doing source code control.
We're focusing on web content management.  I think source code control
is already done pretty well by other vendors.

  I also don't see how the categorization is that helpful.  First of
all, it is clear from the mailing list that the correct category is #2
(core & options both useful).  Some people just want to implement Core.
However, a large group of people (probably somewhat more than half),
will implement at least one option.  I also don't see how the conclusion
for your category #2, "we should be able to publish core but since there's
significant demand for the options they ought to be standardized
relatively quickly" follows.  You are just asserting that if
core & options are both useful, they should be split, without stating
a reason for this conclusion.

  There are many valid reasons that a separate DeltaV options standard
would proceed more slowly down the standards track other than lack of
interest.  First of all, now there will be a second spec for options
reviewers to examine, which will replicate much of the same introductory
informationin the options spec.  Second, there will be a loss of context
caused by removing forward references from Core to the options.  Two-way
links are generally more useful than one-way links.  Third, there is the
cost that both of the split documents would pay while we are waiting for
the splitting.  I could go on...

  As far as the politics of this goes, the issue is not "pork-barreling"
the IESG, but in fracturing the consensus of the working group.  If you
peel off the support of those folks interested only in Core from the
options stuff, and make the folks who think that Core is useless by itself
unhappy because the stuff that they care about got throw out of the "fast
track" spec, I think everyone interested in DeltaV will lose.

--Eric