RE: Complexity and Core Considerations

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@cse.ucsc.edu>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 13:35:24 -0800
To: <ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org>
> The first question is just an editorial question.  I would prefer to
> keep the versioning protocol as one document -- after all, when the
> first paragraph of the introductions says:
>
>   "An implementor that is only interested in core versioning should read
>    Section I (Introduction), Section II (Core Versioning), and Section
>    15 (Report Option)."
>
> is a reader really all that likely to be confused?

Yes, because in order to implement core, you also need to read, understand,
and subset the information in the security considerations, i18n, IANA
considerations, references, as well as understand and implement the error
reporting extensions listed in the appendix, so you can properly report
errors from VERSION-CONTROL.  And these are just the ones I can list from
memory.

Plus, a core-only document would have a shorter introduction, and a shorter
definitions section, making it ever so easier to understand.  A core-only
document would also appear much less intimidating, since, if printed
double-sided, you could make a working paper airplane out the stack of
papers. :-)

- Jim