RE: Versioning TeleConf Agenda, 2/2/00 (Friday) 12-1pm EST

From: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@xythos.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 11:49:39 -0800
To: "Jim Amsden" <jamsden@us.ibm.com>, <ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org>
> We have struggled with how to handle core vs. advanced
> vs. options since the beginning of Delta-V. In fact,
> there is a recent thread on this subject that suggests
> splitting them into separate documents. The compromise
> we came up with was to have core contain the minimal,
> essential support for versioning semantics that we
> expected every server vendor would implement. That is,
> core represents the common functions provided by all
> versioning repository vendors while the extensions
> represent the variability. However, we don't expect any
> server to just implement core because by itself, core
> isn't that interesting. Even the document management
> vendors have expressed interest in a number of the
> extensions. We just couldn't get any agreement on common
> subsets. This has been the greatest source of
> controversy, not the semantics of the specific
> extensions themselves.

Xythos is planning to implement core and only core, unless and until
some interoperable DAV clients also implement some of the more generally
useful extensions such as checkin/checkout, baselines, variants or
labels, or until a customer requires such options.

"Expressed interest" is a vague statement, you could say that Xythos has
expressed interest in various extensions, however as I've stated we may
not implement any extensions anytime soon.

Any other document management vendors care to discuss what options they
plan to implement?

Lisa