Re: fetching from a baseline on a readonly server

From: Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 12:39:30 -0800
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 10:09:41PM -0500, Geoffrey M. Clemm wrote:

>    From: Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>
>
>    As a variant of my previous question, how would I fetch a particular file
>    from a particular baseline on a readonly server? Specifically, if I'm not
>    allowed to do a MKCOL, a BASELINE-CONTROL, or an UPDATE (on an existing
>    baseline selector), then how can I use a baseline?
>
> OK, I was wavering before, but now you've pushed me over the edge.  I

hehe :-)

> This is a burden on the server, but probably not an unreasonable one.
> In particular, I don't think that Greg's will be the only server that
> will have very different performance/implementation tradeoffs for a
> read-only view of a baseline (what Greg wants) and a writeable view of
> a baseline (aka a workspace).

Speaking for Subversion, this isn't actually a burden as we'll synthesize
the collection as the user requests it. (i.e. we don't have to worry about
constructing and tossing a set of baseline resources)

[ well, asking for an old baseline will be a bit painful since we use a
  reverse-delta storage system, but I believe the intent is to cache those
  as part of normal operation (meaning the new baseline collection won't
  burden us any more than we already had) ]

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/