Re: Re (4): collection version resources

From: Geoffrey M. Clemm <geoffrey.clemm@rational.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 09:21:14 -0500 (EST)
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org

   From: Tim_Ellison@uk.ibm.com

   I agree with Greg that simpler uses of workspace are feasible.

Feasible, for sure.  But since this imposes a complexity cost on
clients, do those simpler uses warrant the cost on the client?

Note that a client can always use whatever subset of the server
provided functionality that it wants, so if we say that a workspace
server MUST support merging and baselining, this does not mean
that a workspace client must use that functionality.  So the
cost here is only on the server.

Again, I can go either way, but the fact that the primary motivation
for the "workspace" concept is to support unambiguous merging and
baselining does make it seem like a workspace implementation is
unlikely to come without them.