Re: auto-version

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 05:56:07PM -0500, Geoffrey M. Clemm wrote:

>    From: "Vasta, John" <jvasta@rational.com>
>
>    > > While I'm in there, Jim Amsden asked if we could add a
>    > > value to DAV:auto-version that says "only auto version
>    > > while locked" (i.e. this would say to auto-checkout if
>    > > the checked-in vcr is write-locked, but just fail the
>    > > update if it is not write-locked).
>    >
>    > It should not be added. I don't have locking in my server, so
>    > adding that to the spec would mean that I couldn't ever
>    > auto-version.
>
>    Not quite right; it's up to the client to set the DAV:auto-version
>    property (your server can default the value to whatever it
>    wants). So it would only mean that your server couldn't support
>    clients that wished to assert this policy.
>
> That is correct.  The protocol explicitly warns clients that servers
> may refuse to allow the client to modify the value of DAV:auto-version
> (this appears in the definition of DAV:auto-version).
>
> I believe that both kinds of servers will be written (i.e. servers
> that will always auto-version, and others that only auto-version on a
> locked resource lock), and that it would be good to define an
> interoperable way for a client to find out what kind of server it is
> running against.
>
> So with that clarification, is this OK with you Greg (and everyone else)?

I read the initial comment wrong. I thought it said "if auto-versioning is
supported, then you must write-lock the resource first."

The true reading is, "the client can PROPPATCH a value into DAV:auto-version
that says 'this resource can only auto-version while write-locked'".

In that sense, I'm totally cool with it. I'll set DAV:auto-version to true
or false as appropriate and disallow any setting of the property (or
possibly allow setting to true/false only).

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/