Re: auto-version

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 09:56:30AM -0500, Clemm, Geoff wrote:
> Good points.  I'll fix that up.
>
> While I'm in there, Jim Amsden asked if we could add a
> value to DAV:auto-version that says "only auto version
> while locked" (i.e. this would say to auto-checkout if
> the checked-in vcr is write-locked, but just fail the
> update if it is not write-locked).
>
> I think this is a decision more likely to made by the
> server (i.e. does it have an efficient delta scheme for
> that resource type), but I'd be happy to add this if
> folks think it's a good idea.  Any preference?

It should not be added. I don't have locking in my server, so adding that to
the spec would mean that I couldn't ever auto-version.

What the heck does locking have to do with auto-version? If a person does a
PUT, then you spin off a new version. Requiring it to be locked is a policy
decision.

> This brings to mind another point ... currently we have
> a couple of properties that take string values of "true"
> and "false".  It occurs to me that it would be cleaner to
> have elements called "DAV:true" and "DAV:false".  Any
> objections to this change?

Yes. :-)

We used "true" and "false" to follow the values from the XML Data stuff
(IIRC). We shouldn't go and monkey them to use something else.

And it isn't like we need namespace protection for these.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/