Re: Changes to DeltaV

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 04:07:56PM -0800, Mark A. Hale wrote:
> Attached are changes from Interwoven for DeltaV (as applicable to
> draft-ietf-deltav-versioning-10.13.doc).  Please feel free to ask for
> clarification on any of the items.

I would suggest that, in the future, you attach these inline as text. Using
a Word document makes it hard to view them, and practically impossible to
respond to the points in that document. As a result, I can only call them
out briefly here.

*) The "Client workspace" option is going to stay; there isn't any way to
   get that section tossed. Consider that CVS, one of the most widely used
   version control systems, uses this model.

*) DELWORKSPACE is not needed. Just use DELETE

*) MKWORKSPACE variants:
   -) empty: what we have today
   -) initialized w/ a baseline as non-controlled resources: COPY a baseline
      selector to the target area instead.
   -) initialized as controlled resources: MKWORKSPACE followed by
      BASELINE-CONTROL ought to do the trick. (this is discussed in 5.0)

      [ I don't know of a way to remove a collection from baseline-control ]

*) your comments on 5.5 - 5.7 don't make sense to me. The URL is the
   version-controlled resource (VCR), and that VCR is in a workspace. There
   is no separate URL for a workspace.

   And the bit about a workspace as a precondition: sections 5.5 - 5.7
   actually work without needing "workspaces." It is a bit confusing because
   they are placed into the "workspace" section, when they really just mean
   "editing resources on the server [with or without a workspace]." IMO,
   they should move to a different section, or somehow be clarified that
   they do not require a "workspace" to operate.

   The "workspace" concept is simply to create other areas on the server
   where a person may work privately or independently.

*) 11.2 would stay since client workspaces stay.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/