Re: re-use of version URL's

From: Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 12:17:03 -0800
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
> > DeltaV imposes policy. Period. You're just trying to say "how far." If
> > corporate policy wants to break DeltaV policy, then fine... they do have
> > that right. But the spec does not have to make allowances for it.
>
> ok.  We can also enhance the design of the spec to accomodate reasonable use
> cases.

I could also state that using GUIDs is reasonable. The version resource URLs
are typically "not for the user" so their readability isn't an issue.

> > Version resource URLs can be unique and persistent
>
> I agree; they can.  But, must they?

For the highest level of interoperability... you bet.

A MUST means the client can actually rely on the feature. If you drop that
to a SHOULD, then the client needs to (effectively) ignore the thing and
find an alternate solution.

Cheers,
-g

--