RE: re-use of version URL's [was: some comments from Chris Kaler ...]

From: Preston L. Bannister <preston@home.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 10:02:56 -0800
To: <mark.hale@interwoven.com>, "Geoffrey M. Clemm" <geoffrey.clemm@rational.com>, <ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org>
Cc: <ckaler@microsoft.com>, <yarongo@crossgrain.com>, "Ron Daniel" <rdaniel@interwoven.com>
From: Mark A. Hale
[snip]
> At this time, Joe wishes to explore a synchronous and asynchronous write.
> He decides to use version control in a temporary space in which this
> particular server has the version URL's:
>
> 	http://someWebDAVServer.com/write.c/temp/synchronous/1.0
> 	http://someWebDAVServer.com/write.c/temp/asynchronous/1.0
>
> And after time, Joe has the following:
>
> 	http://someWebDAVServer.com/write.c/temp/synchronous/1.8
> 	http://someWebDAVServer.com/write.c/temp/asynchronous/1.10
[snip]

> At a future time, Joe may decide again to try another synchronous code
> sample with the following version:
>
> 	http://someWebDAVServer.com/write.c/ver/1.20
>
> put into the following temporary space:
>
> 	http://someWebDAVServer.com/write.c/temp/synchronous/1.0
>
> In this case, there is a logical re-use of the same URL with a
> 'meaningful' URL address for use by Joe.
>
> I will not argue that this is how we implement our systems but I do think
> that the possibility for this kind of implementation should not be
> restricted.

Say Joe sent you an email asking you to look at his working copy:

	http://someWebDAVServer.com/write.c/temp/synchronous/1.1

If you were a bit tardy reading your mail and Joe is working on
the second try, you will be looking at the second attempt.

This could be quite confusing.

I suspect you don't *ever* want a versioning service that to an
end user "sometimes" delivers the wrong version!