AW: Re: What is a supported property?

Geoff,

I totally agree that it is _possible_ to solve all future interop
and extension problems with the DAV:supported-*-sets. The question
is: will it be _likely_?

The lock-null resource is an example of a resource which a client
can only tell apart by looking at a certain set of properties, as
I described. As you can see, this is very "brittle".

I would like to emphasize the case of moddav (very well compliant
server, thanks Greg) which bends the definition of lock-null
and its timeouts intentionally to please people with MS Office.

Certainly, moddav does not violate 2518 there, but it still comes
as a little surprise to clients like mine. It would be easier to
cope with this if the protocol would allow for a little bit more
redundancy, to allow moddav to say: "dear client, this really is
a lock-null resource, even though the lock timeout might look
strange. Trust me, I know what I'm doing."

I expect the same to happen with DAV:suported-*-set.
1. It is not trivial to understand and implement correctly
2. Some servers will err, some clients will err. Depending on market
   share, all other will have to cope with those errors.

To repeat: I think the likelihood and amount of such errors will
be higher with the DAV:supported-*-set than a DAV:resourcetype.

And now let's talk about something else. How's the wheather at
the west coast?

Stefan