RE: Removing a resource: A compromise that satisfies?

Which brings me back to the point I made a long time ago: Why can't the
default for dump clients be "zap the version history"?

We already have the server option NOT to zap history if the server
doesn't want to do so.  I always thought that a default of 'ZAP it'
unless instructed otherwise solved both problems.

Earlier, Geoff said:
First, I'd like to emphasize that I agree with the following
statements:
- the protocol should support the explicit deletion of versions
(although a server may refuse the deletion request)
- servers will provide some mechanism for reclaiming space (possibly
involving auto-archiving, and maybe even auto-deletion).
================= SO ==========================
Why isn't "servers will provide some mechanism for reclaiming space
...maybe even auto-deletion"

Solved by having the server zap the version history on DELETE?  By not
having a client tell the server what it wants to happen, you make it
impossible to separate an uninformed client from an informed client.

If the spec said an implementation MAY zap it unless directed not to do
so, a smart DeltaV client knows what to do.  If it wants the version
history destroyed, zap the VHR then the VCR.  If it doesn't, say so on
the DELETE.  Then it knows what will happen, consistently.  So the
client gets its consistency and the server dealing with older clients
gets its flexibility in the presence of features like quota limitations.

Meanwhile, a server that supports WORKSPACES and doesn't consider the
reclimation of space orphaned by dump clients an issue can choose a
different default.  The default doesn't effect smart clients, only dumb
ones.  The dumb ones can't be confused, since they don't know they are
using a DeltaV server anyway.

Why isn't that better than having a server implement "auto-deletion"
without any ability to effect the process?

Peace