RE: Removing the DAV:activity and DAV:version-history and DAV:baselin e resource type values

From: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@xythos.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 13:32:41 -0700
To: "DeltaV" <ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org>, "Jim Amsden" <jamsden@us.ibm.com>, "Jim Whitehead" <ejw@cse.ucsc.edu>

> The reason we can't introduce new resource types for all of the
> versioning
> resources is because we have to support down-level clients that only know
> about DAV:collection. For new resources that down-level clients couldn't
> possibly know about, workspaces, activities, baselines, etc., we don't
> have this restriction. I agree with Greg and Tim. We should be as
> specific
> as we can about declared type and only compromise when required by
> interoperability considerations.

I thought we had rather strong guidance that working around bugs in a single
implementation was NOT recommended.  Clarification, Jim?

I'd also point out that frequently it will be OK even with buggy clients to
introduce new resource types.  For example, I don't suppose it will be that
easy for non-versioning-aware clients to stumble across URLs of collections
of version-histories, activities, baselines and workspaces.  Not all of
these new resources are even browsable, and they may not appear in any
regular URL space that regular clients are expected to use.

lisa