RE: Confusion: Removing a resource from version control

I'm not dissing the RDBMS-model or any other model that says "keep around
versions that are referenced". In fact, what I'm proposing may be compatible
with that model -- we weren't planning to delete versions that were still
referenced by an existing VCR.

I'm also not dissing the model that says "keep around all versions forever".
That's fine.

But there is also a model that requires servers to delete stuff.  To
conserve space, to enforce policy on not archiving stuff (e.g. like email
servers), or for whatever reason.  The rule might be to delete ANYTHING over
2 yrs old.  The rule might be to cleanse (bitmask wipe) anything that's
deleted in case your archives are requested for material in a trial.  The
spec needs to accomodate these models as well.

Or consider the model on www.sharemation.com, where we support versioning
through a Web UI (try it out) but we also have quota.  A user is limited to
20 MB.  THey reach that and clean out old files.  How can they possibly
reduce the amount of space used in their system?  Remember, this person may
be using current Web Folders or other existing clients.

To rebut the earlier argument that clients need predictable behaviour --
well sometimes that goes by the wayside.  After all, that's what 404 Not
Found was invented for.  Things disappear.

lisa