RE: Confusion: Removing a resource from version control

From: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@xythos.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:45:53 -0700
To: "Clemm, Geoff" <gclemm@rational.com>, "DeltaV" <ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org>
> the temporary location back to the original URL.  Note that the
> versions already created for the version-controlled resource will
> continue to exist at their server-defined locations."

This is clearer, but still problematic.  You've disguised a normative
requirement as a clarification.  Without this "Note" on the end, my
implementation would have done away with (deleted, gone, byebye) all the
versions that are no longer associated with a version-controlled resource.

If it is a requirement that the versions already created MUST stay around,
even when the version-controlled resource is replaced by a
non-version-controlled resource, then this must be a MUST.

I'd prefer to say that the versions that are no longer associated with a VCR
MAY be gone.

lisa