Confusion: Removing a resource from version control

From: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@xythos.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:14:53 -0700
To: "DeltaV" <ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org>

I'm confused about this paragraph in 15.1, section 2.2.1:

"In order to remove a resource from version control, a client can COPY the
version-controlled resource to a temporary location, DELETE the
version-controlled resource, and then MOVE the copy from the temporary
location back to the original URL.  The versions created for that resource
while it was under version control will continue to exist at their
server-defined locations."

I'd parse the first sentence to mean that when the COPY is done, only one
version is created at the destination.  Then when the MOVE back is done,
only one version is available at the original location.  This has the effect
of replacing 'n' versions with 1 version, and replacing a VCR with a
non-version-controlled (ordinary) resource.

Then I read the second sentence, and I get confused.  The versions all still
exist?  Why?  What's the point?  How can that be?

lisa