RE: Deleting versions

From: <Tim_Ellison@uk.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 10:18:44 +0100
To: "DeltaV" <ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org>

"Jim Whitehead" <ejw@cse.ucsc.edu> wrote:
> >    From: Lisa Dusseault [mailto:lisa@xythos.com]
> >
> >    Actually, I think the problem is that I (do other readers?) still
> >    don't look in the preconditions and postconditions for normative
> >    requirements.  I think of them as error/status codes, but in fact a
> >    lot of the postconditions make requirements.
> >
> > That would be a problem, because the majority of the normative
> > requirements are specified in the pre and post conditions. The
> > introductory text provides motivation and guidance, but the
> > pre and post conditions are the actual specification of functionality.
> >

> For the record, I have found this confusing on multiple occasions as
well.

What can I add?  They are an integral part of the specification and should
be read carefully and understood.  At least for me, the layout and style do
not imply that pre/post-conditions may be glossed over or ignored.  In
fact, I find it useful to have the conditions stated explicitly in this
way, and _named_ for easy reference.

Tim