RE: PROPFIND allprop with more properties (was AW: Resource class )

From: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@xythos.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 16:49:37 -0700
To: "Julian F. Reschke" <julian.reschke@greenbytes.de>, <ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org>

> >    <D:propfind xmlns:D="DAV:">
> >      <D:all-dead-prop/>
> >      <D:checked-in/>
> >      <D:checked-out/>
> >      <D:version-name/>
> >    </D:propfind>
>
> I prefer Stefan's proposal because
>
> a) it doesn't require a new "pseudo" property and
>
> b) will interoperate with "old" RFC2518 based severs and clients well.

It would NOT work with old implementations unless it looks like this:

<D:propfind xmlns:D="DAV:">
  <D:all-dead-prop/>
  <D:prop>
    <D:checked-in/>
    <D:checked-out/>
    <D:version-name/>
  </D:prop>
</D:propfind>

It's also not a solution to the problem unless we specifically deprecate
allprop or change its meaning because naive and old clients will still do
the expensive 'allprop'.  Especially because 'allprop' is the default for an
empty PROPFIND request.

--Lisa