Re: AW: Resource class

From: <Tim_Ellison@uk.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 11:46:04 +0100
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org

"Stefan Eissing" <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>
> This touches on an issue I (the guy with the webdav [maybe caching
> a little] proxy) have with discovering type and status of a WebDAV
resource.

"maybe caching a little" <g>

> As Geoff made quite clear,

Did he?  I'll have to re-read that post (joking!)

> DAV:supported-live-property-set contains all
> there is to know about a versioned resource. But what about versionable
> resources? Will/Should they have any versioning props apart from
> DAV:supported-method-set with at least VERSION-CONTROL as content?

Correct, VERSION-CONTROL would identify the resource as versionable to a
client.

> How is supported-method-set supposed to work in conjunction with other
> WebDAV extensions (ordered collections, reference, etc.) Will all those
> methods be mentioned there as well?

Yes.

> Won't deltaV become a necessary
> functionality for these extensions, then?

No.  DeltaV defines those properties so if there is no DeltaV the client
would use some other way to distinguish a resource's classification as
written in whatever spec. they are probing for.

> If not, does OPTIONS then remain a better place to look for methods?

Pass -- we've been round that loop a few times.  Geoff has written it both
ways, probably more than once.

> Stefan
> (won't like resource type
> DAV:checked-out-external-reference-to-ordered-collection)

The intent was not to have a monster type name, rather something cumulative
like:

<DAV:resourcetype>
   <DAV:collection/>
   <DAV:workspace/>