RE: Protocol support for maintaining a "local file area" on the client

   From: Tim_Ellison@uk.ibm.com [mailto:Tim_Ellison@uk.ibm.com]

   "Clemm, Geoff" <gclemm@rational.com> wrote:

   > I've been reviewing the protocol wrt client maintenance of a
   > "local file area" (i.e. a tree of files on the client that
   > reflect the state on the server).  I identified two issues:

   > The second issue was having multiple file areas for the same
   > workspace.

   What is a 'file area'?

See above.  A file area is "a tree of files on the client that
reflect the state on the server".

   > To handle this efficiently, we could allow one workspace to be
   > UPDATE'd by another.  This allows a client to create a separate
   > workspace for its file area, and then use UPDATE to determine how
   > that file area should be changed to reflect the changes made to
   > some shared workspace.

   > JimW: Note that this also makes your "initialize a new workspace"
   > scenario much simpler ... you just use one UPDATE call instead of
   > a series of VERSION-CONTROL calls.

   Sounds similar to the operations currently available under baseline
   -- but I'll wait to hear what a file area is first.

Yes.  The only difference is that it allows you to have multiple file
areas before you are ready to baseline (e.g. you want to compile on a
couple of different platforms before creating the baseline).

Similarly, it is a convenient way to initialize a new workspace to
select the same versions as an existing workspace, even when you are
not ready to "baseline" the state of that existing workspace.