Re (2): label header

From: <Edgar@EdgarSchwarz.de>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 04:41:03 -0400
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
Cc: Edgar@EdgarSchwarz.de
Some days late now but nevertheless I would like to give my 0.02$:

"Jim Whitehead" <ejw@cse.ucsc.edu> wrote:
> A label is a human-readable string. To correctly display an arbitrary
> sequence of Unicode characters, a computer must know the language of the
> string. This allows the computer to, for example, draw the characters left
> to right, or right to left, as appropriate.
>
> Thus the language tag is necessary.
The problem that a label can be a four letter word in another language :-)
doesn't strike me as very relevant in practice.
Also the drawing direction of the characters is implicitly encoded
in the characters themselves, isn't it ?
So I think that a label as a simple string of UNICODE characters would be
good enough and simple to implement too.
Not aesthetically perfect, but a working solution if you want to draw people
from RCS, CVS, Clearcase to name a few, which heavily rely on labels.
So I would keep the label header as a simple UNICODE string.

Cheers, Edgar
--
edgar@edgarschwarz.de                    http://www.edgarschwarz.de
*          DOSenfreie Zone.        Running Native Oberon.         *