RE: label header (was: Re: Versioning TeleConf Agenda, 4/6/01 (Fr iday) 12-1pm EST)

Geoff wrote:
> I agree that nobody is trying suggesting that we try
> and solve the semantics of common version labeling requirements.

That was a flippant comment, sorry.

> On the other hand, I believe it is a reasonable expectation
> on the part of the user that if they declare a label in the
> English language (and indicate as much with an attribute on
> that label),

hold on, that is what I said -- that we don't describe the label as a
language attributed value, it is just a string, a sequence of characters
with a well defined encoding scheme.

> that this definition be respected, and that a
> request for that label not come back with some non-English
> byte string that happens to match.  Similarly, any other
> attribute declared on that label should be respected.

I think you are very brave to go down this road, and I predict it will end
in tears.  Are you are seriously suggesting that you will match based on
language rules?  Maybe just language name?  It is unneccessary and I
suggest beyond VCM expectations.

> So unless we define an "XML attribute encoding" syntax for
> the Label header (which I strongly advocate we not do), the
> Label header will be missing key information needed for a
> correct label match to be performed.

I agree we do not want any attributes.  I still want the Label: header.