RE: label header (was: Re: Versioning TeleConf Agenda, 4/6/01 (Fr iday) 12-1pm EST)

From: <Tim_Ellison@uk.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:21:28 +0100
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org

I'll just restate my position for the record.

I want to keep the label header and don't think that labels should be
language encoded.  Using a well defined encoding we can match on labels
sufficiently well (canonicalizing if necessary) and that is all that we are
required to do.

The issue of two strings being interpreted differently in different
languages is bogus.  There are strings in a single language that are
ambiguous and I don't think anyone is suggesting that we try and solve the
semantics of common version labeling requirements!  Others have already
described situations of languages permitting variations on spelling etc. of
the same word.  We just don't need to go there -- a label is just a string.

The use of the Label: header is useful for operations on a single resource,
and invaluable for operations on groups of resources that are labeled with
a single label.

I'm in favour of keeping the label header as is.

Regards,