Re: Applying MERGE to the resource being modified

From: <Tim_Ellison@uk.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:11:12 +0000
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org

Sounds good.

Tim

"Clemm, Geoff" <gclemm@rational.com> on 2000-12-28 05:33:51 AM

Please respond to "Clemm, Geoff" <gclemm@rational.com>

To:   "DeltaV (E-mail)" <ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org>
cc:
Subject:  Applying MERGE to the resource being modified

Currently, the request-URL of the MERGE request identifes the
versions being merged, and a Destination header identifies the
version selectors being updated.  This is probably backwards,
since you want the server that holds the version selectors to
get the request, not the server holding the versions (they might
be on different servers).

So I propose that we swap this around, and have the request-URL
of the MERGE request identify the "merge destination", and identify
the versions to be merged in the MERGE request body.

Any objections?  (Note: no semantic change here, just tweaking
the marshalling).