Re: live properties (was: comments on deltav-10.5 from Yaron Goland, Act One)

From: Geoffrey M. Clemm <geoffrey.clemm@rational.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 17:01:03 -0500 (EST)
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org

   From: Tim_Ellison@uk.ibm.com

     Do we need DAV:supported-live-properties?  Servers are
     required to protect the names of all live properties
     (whether they support them or not), so PROPPATCH will fail
     if the property is unsupported.  Servers should not define a
     live property that it does not support, and PROPFIND would
     return 404 Not Found.

     I recall that we used to say that servers must protect all defined
     live properties (i.e., names) in the spec, even those properties that
     were unsupported.  I didn't see that statement in a quick scan of the
     latest spec, so has it been dropped?

Section 2.8 Additional PROPPATCH Semantics
(DAV:cannot-modify-unsupported-property)

DAV:supported-live-properties isn't for the live properties
defined in the protocol (they can be discovered via the
DAV: header from the OPTIONS request).  It is for server
defined live properties, that a user might be able to make
sense of, even if the client wasn't designed with them in mind.
It is expected that versioning servers will all have at least
a few server specific live properties.