Re: "latest" resource

From: <Tim_Ellison@uk.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 10:11:58 +0000
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org

<Geoff>
    I think the current (10.11) draft gives Greg what he
    want here.  In particular, I'm proposing that we allow
    a MERGE request to checkin every checkout in an activity
    (previously the spec was silent on this case).
</Geoff>

I feel like I'm playing catch-up on MERGE, so bear with me ...

The proposal is to allow a MERGE /myactivity with Destination:
/somecollection which will (1) checkin any checked out resources (VCRs or
working resources), and (2) perform the merge semantics on all the VCRs in
the activity that have a corresponding VCR (i.e. shared target history) in
the destination.

Why do you want to do these in a single operation, why not use CHECKIN and
MERGE separately?  At least then you'll catch people still working in the
activity that you are trying to merge.

Can the destination be any collection?  Didn't it use to be only a
workspace?
If it is not a workspace then I presume that all VCRs in the destination
are merged (transitive closure of all URLs rooted at the destination URL),
and merges are performed based on shared version history and nothing to do
with the URL namespace.

It's going to be a very heavy weight operation on the server, for something
that I expect people to be using frequently.

Regards,