CHECKOUT response (was: Subversion support)

From: <Tim_Ellison@uk.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 09:44:52 +0000
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org

> > UNCHECKOUT and SET-TARGET are no longer in core,
>
> Cool. No need to worry about them, then :-)
>
> Hmm. I see CHECKOUT isn't there either... off in the
> client/server workspace options. Quick question/point: what
> should a server return for a CHECKOUT against the wrong type
> of resource? e.g. should I return 409 (Conflict) if somebody
> does a CHECKOUT on a VCR? Is there a specific <DAV:error code>
> to return for this situation?

FWIW:

If the VCR is already checked out, I chose to return 409 Conflict
<DAV:must-not-be-checked-out/>.  If a client sends CHECKOUT to a resource
that is not under version control I return 403 Forbidden
<DAV:must-be-version-or-version-controlled-resource/>.

For a complete list of the 403/409 split (which was derived somewhat
arbitrarily) see
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-dav-versioning/2000OctDec/0125.html