Java Technology Centre, MP146
IBM UK Laboratory, Hursley Park, Winchester, UK.
tel: +44 (0)1962 819872  internal: 249872  MOBx: 270452

"Geoffrey M. Clemm" <geoffrey.clemm@rational.com> on 2000-12-20 08:03:26 PM

Please respond to "Geoffrey M. Clemm" <geoffrey.clemm@rational.com>

To:   ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
cc:
Subject:  Re: proposed client and server options

   From: Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>

   Isn't this stuff considered "non-normative" and, therefore, not supposed
   be included in an RFC?

I believe that you can put non-normative stuff in an appendix, but if
we keep this appendix (the current consensus is to *not* keep it),
we should confirm this.

   Putting this on the www.webdav.org/deltav/ site a definite must. But
within
   the RFC seems a bit strange.

That does appear to be the consensus.  Just to provide some background
on what led to my proposing it:

- At various times, folks have asked for the definition of an
"intermediate"
level (between "just core" and "all options").  Their intermediate level
was inevitably the set of options they were intending on implementing.
Having folks just declare "what they are planning on implementing"
would short circuit debate on "what should the intermediate level be".

- At other times, folks have asked for some idea about what would be
a "reasonable" set of options to support.  This appendix would also be
of use to those folks, while avoiding contention over what set of
options is "reasonable".

   --
   Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/