PROPFIND vs REPORT

From: Jim Amsden <jamsden@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 11:01:25 -0500
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
<greg>PROPFIND is for fetching properties. REPORT is for fetching information
about the server, its layout/organization, for multiple disparate
resources
and data, etc.</greg>

The spec currently says REPORT is for fetching properties of a resource
that require additional parameters, PROPFIND for properties that don't
require parameters. So why not just add the parameters to PROPFIND?

We're getting many requests to reduce the number of methods. While I'm not
always sympathetic to this, REPORT looks like a good candidate. The WebDAV
working group seemed to prefer this approach. What do others think?