RE: II.6, non-reusable version URLs (was: comments on deltav-10.5 from Yaron Goland, Act Two)

From: Tim Ellison <tim@peir.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 20:49:59 -0500
To: <ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org>
[freed from spam trap -rrs]

 Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 19:38:41 -0500 (EST)
 From: "Tim Ellison" <tim@peir.com>
 To: <ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org>

I agree with Boris that it is infeasible to expect clients to remember ETags
to differentiate between recycled version URLs.  Without encoding the ETag
in a URL there is no way to create a safe href to a particular version.

I have no problem with putting GUIDs into the URL, which need not be
particularly short or meaningful.