Re: workspaces

From: Ross Wetmore <rwetmore@verticalsky.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 12:56:33 -0500
To: Tim_Ellison@uk.ibm.com
Cc: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
The answer was, "no,  not really".

The example was the three overlapping circles, and 7 different
workspace combinations. If a member was added or dropped from
one team, then everyone's workspaces might need to be updated
which is as complicated a process as either of the checkin or
refresh examples.

I think it is necessary to consider a many-to-one relationship
between workspaces and version selectors, even though I admit
it would be a lot simpler in some implementations to just have
a one-to-one. However, it is a lot better to do the implementation
right, than complicate every end-user scenario with cumbersome
or impractical workarounds.

The key point is that the current protocol should not build in
elements which prohibit this and will require a complete reversal
of the spec at some point in the future, such as a requirement
that a DAV:workspace property in a version selector be single
valued. The current spec should allow extension to many-to-one
in cases like this even if it does not currently define/require
the extension.

Cheers,
RossW