Value of DAV:suported-method-set

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@cse.ucsc.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 15:06:28 -0800
To: <ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org>
Currently, draft-ietf-deltav-versioning-10 specifies that the value of
DAV:supported-method-set is a series of empty XML elements, where each
element is in the DAV: namespace, and the name of the element exactly
corresponds to an HTTP/DAV/DeltaV method name.  I think this is less than
ideal, since it unnecessarily couples the DAV: namespace, and the space of
HTTP/DAV/DeltaV method names.  Prior to this property, these namespaces were
completely orthogonal. With the introduction of this property, with values
in the DAV: namespace, all new HTTP/DAV/DeltaV methods will need to be
chosen so they do not overlap an existing DAV: URI.  While there are
currently no collisions, I think it is valuable to keep these namespaces
separate, so future protocol extensions do not need to worry about this
namespace overlap.

The remedy is easy:

a) Place these names in a separate, dedicated namespace, such as

b) Use some other marshalling.  A comma-separated list of method names might
allow reuse of server code that generates the value of the Allow HTTP

My preference is (b), but either would address the coupling issue.

- Jim