RE: comments on draft-ietf-deltav-versioning-10.1

From: Chris Kaler <ckaler@microsoft.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 09:21:07 -0800
To: "'Geoffrey M. Clemm'" <geoffrey.clemm@rational.com>, ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org

   section 16.2 MKWORKSPACE p.50-1

   The specification should not be silent on the semantics of parent
   workspaces containing
	- checked-out resources
	- non-versioned members
	- versioned collections members where eclipsing is involved
	- member collections under baseline control (both checked-out and
   checked-in baseline selectors)

You are correct that all this has to be specified (and isn't).  Since
it looks likely that anyone that is implementing workspaces will also
be implementing baselines, I think the best (simplest) approach is to
just to use existing baseline functionality to initialize a workspace,
and get rid of parent workspaces.

In particular, if a workspace is under baseline control, just use
SET-TARGET to set that workspace to a baseline from some existing
workspace.  Since a baseline does not contain checked-out resources,
non-versioned members, or eclipsed members of versioned collections,
none of these questions arise.

Any objections?

[CK] I assume we still keep baseline and workspaces separate in terms
     of OPTIONS discoverability, yes?