RE: Moving Labels Back to Core?

extensions

-----Original Message-----
From: Geoffrey M. Clemm [mailto:geoffrey.clemm@rational.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2000 2:00 PM
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
Subject: Re: Moving Labels Back to Core?

   From: "Dennis E. Hamilton" <infonuovo@email.com>

   I would say that, so long as label support is optional, and they don't
   depend on any non-core mechanism, that the core is a good place to put
them.

The "core" as we currently use the term is the set of required
features, so if label support is optional, it by definition is
not in core.  It looks like the real problem is the term "advanced".  We
should call it "optional" or something (any suggestions?).

Some other optional features that are obviously not
"advanced" but are "optional" are DAV:checkout-branch
(which lets a server declare that it only supports linear
branching) and mutable versions.

   Mostly I see it encouraging developers to notice them and consider their
   support rather than come up with substitutes at the core level that don't
   scale into advanced.

This is true for everything in the "optional" section,
so I think this reinforces the need to rename "advanced".

I'll try how "optional" works, but if anyone has a better idea for a
name, please let me know.  I'll also try to think up some words that
make it clear that if you want to implement anything not in core, to
look into the optional versioning features before inventing a
non-interoperable mechanism.