Re: DAV:checked-out

From: Geoffrey M. Clemm <geoffrey.clemm@rational.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 21:18:23 -0400 (EDT)
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org

   From: Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>

     If I CHECKOUT a version resource (directly or via DAV:target in the
     CHECKOUT method), does the DAV:target disappear from any Version Selectors
     that point at correspond to that version?

Nope.  No strange side effects.  The only time the DAV:target disappears
from a version selector is when you apply the CHECKOUT directly to that
version selector (with no DAV:target parameter).

   In other words, does the monkeying around with DAV:target and
   DAV:checked-out *only* occur for in-place checked-out version selectors?

Yes.

   [ which in turn means it won't happen to me since I don't use in-place ]

Yup.  Note that in draft -08 and before, the client had no way of
forcing the server to create a new working resource ... the server
could just merrily replace your version selector with a working
resource.  Now it has to respect your CHECKOUT/DAV:target specification
(and similarly, respect the *absence* of a DAV:target, and do the
CHECKOUT in place for clients that want that behavior).