Re: DAV:checked-out

Woah. Where did that come from? Multiple checkouts of a version selector
were something that I had specifically requested a couple months ago during
a review. The answer at that time, IIRC, was "sure, it is done like <so>"

The scenario is:

  - Joe creates and activity, checkouts out /foo into that activity, and
    begins updating it.
  - Jane does likewise.
  - One or both merge the activity

Obviously, they can both have it checked out at the same time. Why prevent
Jane from checking the thing out, when Joe may simply end up cancelling his
checkout. That is just wrong.

Let's take a look at two of the version control systems that I'm familiar
with:
  - SourceSafe: allows multiple checkouts (config option)
  - CVS: default/typical operation is multiple checkouts (with some work, I
    think you can prevent them)

Subversion (a CVS replacement, which I'm adding DAV support to) will operate
similarly: multiple checkouts.

DeltaV *must* allow this. It is a very standard mechanism, and I can't
imagine being able to tell people, "well DeltaV is supposed to handle
versioning, but it can't even reach the level of CVS"

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/