Re: Simplicity of core versioning support

From: Jim Amsden/Raleigh/IBM <jamsden@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 16:28:51 -0400
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
User's determine resource identifiers (URLs) and servers map these names
to physical resources. When we add versioning, we need to include a
composite identifier to distinguish between multiple revisions of the same
versioned resource. Labels allow a user to define such an identifier in
some way that is meaningful to them. Again it should be the server's
responsibility to map this to a particular version. Having servers provide
visible, server generated, immutable resource (i.e., object) identifiers
is necessary too. We can do all sorts of linking with these identifiers
that would be impossible using user specified identifiers that can change
through BIND and LABEL. Since core versioning introduces versions of
resources, I think it needs to provide a way for users to identify them.
This is just a logical extension of the server's role for identifying
unversioned resources. So I think LABEL belongs in core versioning. A
server can always implement it by refusing the label. This would be a
somewhat constrained server, but it might have other interesting
characteristics.