Suggestions from Sweden

Jan Christian Herlitz (J-C.Herlitz@excosoft.se)
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 07:47:25 +0100

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 07:47:25 +0100
From: Jan Christian Herlitz <J-C.Herlitz@excosoft.se>
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
Subject: Suggestions from Sweden

Dear WebDAV working group,

We are very excited about the WebDAV project. The WebDAV standard
will change the way people will work in the future, in this respect it
is as important as any other enabling technology such as html, xml and
Java.

We are promoting the standard whenever we can. For instance, I will
present WebDAV at the XML fair in Stockholm this week.

We are turning Documentor, our SGML/XML editor, into a DAV client.

We have 15 years of experience in the field of system development and
configuration management. Our company is a spin off from Ericsson.

I know this is a bit late, but we would also like to contribute to the
WebDAV work if we can. We would like to start off with some suggestions.

They are set forth in detail at http://www.excosoft.se/dev/webdav.

The suggestions are summarized below.

* The implementation of a version naming scheme that promotes an
understanding of versions, version trees and branches. This is not
primarily a suggestion for WebDAV itself, but for the repository
developers. However, I believe we can be more explicit
when we are discussing version trees if we have a naming scheme.

* Checked-out versions should be given a unique id. This id should be
maintained when versions are frozen.

* A version of a collection should be able to define the versions for
its children. A collection version will in this respect be a
configuration.

* A URI should be able to specify version designators on collection
levels.

Regards
Jan Christian Herlitz

Jan Christian Herlitz * Founder, R&D Manager
Excosoft AB * Electrum 420 * SE-164 40 Kista * Sweden
Tel: +46 8 703 9190 * Fax: +46 8 703 9490
herlitz@excosoft.se * www.excosoft.se