Re: detecting a "non-versioning-aware client"

Geoffrey M. Clemm (gclemm@tantalum.atria.com)
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 00:29:56 -0500

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 00:29:56 -0500
From: "Geoffrey M. Clemm" <gclemm@tantalum.atria.com>
To: ckaler@Exchange.Microsoft.com
Cc: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
Subject: Re: detecting a "non-versioning-aware client"

It appears the consensus is that there is no magic way to tell whether
a client is versioning aware, so you can't base your behavior on
whether it is or not.  But you can try to make the semantics of any
request with no versioning methods or headers be whatever would be
least surprising to a versioning unaware client, since alternative
semantics for versioning aware clients can be defined to require
versioning methods or headers.

There's probably a much clearer way of saying this, but those of
you that care probably know what I mean (:-).

   From: "Chris Kaler (Exchange)" <ckaler@Exchange.Microsoft.com>

   I believe we can determine this based on the request.

   If the client issues a request that utilizes new semantics,
   methods, or properties, they are assumed to be "versioning aware".

   If there issue requests that indicate they are not versioning
   aware, then we treat them as down-level.  One such case would
   be issuing a PUT or PROPPATCH against an immutable revision.

   Chris