Re: Standard WebDAV Properties

John Stracke (francis@ecal.com)
Thu, 04 Mar 1999 15:31:20 -0500

Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 15:31:20 -0500
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
From: John Stracke <francis@ecal.com> (by way of "Ralph R. Swick" <swick@w3.org>)
Subject: Re: Standard WebDAV Properties

Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 15:09:39 -0500 (EST)
Sender: francis@ariel.appoint.lan
From: John Stracke <francis@ecal.com>
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
CC: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org

"Roy T. Fielding" wrote:

> >Roy, I think his note was calling for a way to say "I defined a book
> >author property using <this> DTD and semantic" so that others could use
> >the same specification with the intent of some level of
> >interoperability.
> >
> >I didn't read anything in there about HTTP methods or other
> >protocol-level changes.
>
> If it is being used to establish interoperability, then it is the protocol.

Not quite--it is *a* protocol.  A schema would be an application-specific
protocol built on top of DAV.  There are presumably going to be plenty of people
trying to do such protocols; Jim's just trying to set up a uniform way to
describe them, and a place to publish them, so that people can share their work,
and try to get some ad hoc interoperability, even if they don't have
IETF blessing for their protocols.

--
|John Stracke    | My opinions are my own | S/MIME & HTML OK  |