Re: Some configuration management scenarios

Bradley.Sergeant@merant.com
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 08:33:48 -0500

Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 08:33:48 -0500
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
From: Bradley.Sergeant@merant.com (by way of "Ralph R. Swick" <swick@w3.org>)
Subject: Re: Some configuration management scenarios

     The terminology takes some getting used to, but I can see the
     correlation's.  Scenario 3.2 may indeed correspond to my scenario 1,
     but you did not include it in your mail.  I don't quite see it easily
     emerging from 3 or 3.1 so I'll call it 4 for now.  The basic idea was
     the continuance of an existing line of development for future work and
     the creation of a dead-end activity for limited changes to a release
     (patches), while merging all changes into the continuing development
     as well.

     (4) Project P1 releases and creates configuration R1.  Future
     development continues as before for P1.  The "end game" for R1 is
     referred to as the P1R1 project.  Any incremental "patches" to release
     R1 are done in or merged into the P1R1 workspace.  Configurations for
     the release of P1R1 are generated from the P1R1 workspace.  All
     changes made in or merged into P1R1 are also merged into the P1
     workspace.

     (4.1) A branch-based system is used. P developers are required to work
     on the same branch (the DAV:branch property of all P1 activities are
     set to be "branch-P1").  P1R1 developers use the branch-P1 if
     possible, otherwise use the "branch-P1R1" (by setting the DAV:branch
     property of P1R1 activities to branch-P1 and the DAV:secondaryBranch
     property to branch-P1R1).  This way only P1R1 changes that occur on
     resources already modified by P1 activities go on the branch-P1R1.

     Geoffrey, from the point of view of the branching system no merge is
     required for P1R1 changes that go on the branch-P1.  In your current
     protocol proposal would a merge be required in order to update the P1
     workspace to see the P1R1 changes that were made on the branch-P1?  Or
     will the RSR of the P1 workspace make this unneeded?  I'm thinking a
     merge may be required, but might not result in any change to the
     revision histories of the versioned resources.  This would be because
     a preexisting P1 activity had previous checked in an ancestor of a
     resource modified on branch-P1 by a P1R1 activity and the built-in
     activity RSR rule #2 would cause an earlier revision to be selected.

     Sorry for the convolution.  I'm trying to understand the implications
     of the proposed protocol on branching systems.  (I don't have a
     problem requiring the merge.)

     --Sarge