Interoperability between Mutable and Immutable Versioning

Geoffrey M. Clemm (gclemm@tantalum.atria.com)
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 11:42:09 -0500

Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 11:42:09 -0500
From: "Geoffrey M. Clemm" <gclemm@tantalum.atria.com>
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
Subject: Interoperability between Mutable and Immutable Versioning

To clarify my position on this topic, it is my belief that the protocol
could be designed in a way to make mutable and immutable versioning
incompatible (i.e. by providing a THAW and FREEZE operations that
would fail on versioned resources that supported immutable revisions),
or could be written in a way to make them compatible (i.e. by providing
a consistent interpretation of CHECKOUT/CHECKIN for both.

The CHECKOUT/CHECKIN model I posted in my earlier message is the
latter (i.e. interoperable) protocol.  In this form, I not only
believe that mutable versioning is acceptable, but I advocate it as an
interoperable simplification of the more powerful but more complex
configuration management protocol.