Re: versioned collections: a proposal

Sankar Virdhagriswaran (sv@crystaliz.com)
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 10:55:10 -0500

From: "Sankar Virdhagriswaran" <sv@crystaliz.com>
To: "Geoffrey M. Clemm" <gclemm@tantalum.atria.com>, <ckaler@microsoft.com>
Cc: <ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 10:55:10 -0500
Subject: Re: versioned collections: a proposal

>Just to be clear, I believe that you have to be careful when you are
>designing versioned collection support because several obvious
>approaches don't work, but I don't believe supporting/implementing
>them is difficult/expensive if you get the design right.....

I just want to say that I agree with Geoff on his message. The statement
that I have extracted above conveys my sentiment. In particular, getting the
design right is hard with the Web because the collection and evolution
aspect of the Web is made tricky because of

    - the type of collections that web sites are
    - the type of property support needed for web collections
    - the type of collaboration needed in authoring webs

This is why I liked Geoff's design that he circulated a while ago. It
provides for minimal needed functionality and yet addresses future
extensibility. It draws the design "line in the sand" at the right place and
in the right way

The discussion that preceded this message about collections with references,
mutable properties, one method for lock and versioning all point to the
difficulty of getting this right.